Friday, May 21, 2010

Okay so by now everybody knows I'm counting down to retirement. As of today, it's 252 days. Every now and then I torture myself by calculating the hours. Today is a Friday before a long weekend, so it seemed appropriate to do the hours again – 6,048. Yes, I am certifiable.

However, this is one of those days when I love my job the most. I am so lucky. I work with awesome people, doing some writing, some coordinating of freelancers, some fine-tuning and organizing of upcoming features, and a lot of page layout. I have a lovely desk in a typical office cube-farm, but my little corner of the world is next to a beautiful big window that looks out over a couple of city streets, a parking lot, a couple of hotels, a sleazy nightclub and lots of traffic action. My favourite is the one-way street that confuses many drivers and they wind up going the wrong way. Always something fun to watch.

Best of all, today it's raining. I can hear the big fat raindrops hitting the window behind me, and for some weird reason, that's always a calming sound. And being the Friday before a long weekend, it's also very quiet around me. And I'm on holidays next week so I have a good, steady roster of things to do today.

It's a good day. A really good day. If there were more like this, retirement might not seem so attractive, or so far away.


No comments: